Special Issue on 2014 Norbert Wiener in the 21st Century
Vol. 34, No. 3
In this issue of IEEE Technology and Society Magazine we acknowledge one of the quintessential multi-disciplinarians of our time, Dr. Norbert Wiener (1894–1964), the Father of Cybernetics. During his life, Wiener influenced mathematics, philosophy, science, technology, ethics, biology, prosthesis, education, manufacturing, and many other fields. He was an early practitioner of diversity and social inclusion, and an advocate of social responsibility in the development of technology. He predicted the social impact of robotic, cybernetic, and other technologies on the future of society, and after several decades his writings retain their relevance.
Free Online Content
- Technological Expeditions and Cognitive Indolence Posted in: Editorial & Opinion, Magazine Articles - The Greely Expedition of 1881 is a harrowing tale of starvation and the death of all but six of the… ... Read More
- Norbert Wiener and the Counter-Tradition to the Dream of Mastery Posted in: Editorial & Opinion, Magazine Articles, Societal Impact - Machine Analytique de Charles Babbage, exposée au Science Museum de Londres (Mai 2009). Bruno Barral (ByB). WIKIMEDIA. I am… ... Read More
- Reintroducing Wiener: Channeling Norbert in the 21st Century Posted in: Editorial & Opinion, Magazine Articles, Societal Impact - The arc of Norbert Wiener's fascinating life became clear to us one day in the M.I.T. Institute Archives. In one… ... Read More
- Ubiquitous Surveillance and Security Posted in: Editorial & Opinion, Magazine Articles, Privacy & Security - Governments and corporations gather, store, and analyze the tremendous amount of data we chuff out as we move through our… ... Read More
- The Next Macy Conference: A New Interdisciplinary Synthesis Posted in: Magazine Articles - The postwar period was one of intense interdisciplinary ferment, nowhere more so than at the famous Macy conferences on circular… ... Read More
- Norbert Wiener: Odd Man Ahead Posted in: Human Impacts, Magazine Articles, Societal Impact - My childhood memories of Norbert Wiener are of a strange looking person who came repeatedly from his New Hampshire home… ... Read More
- 21CW: Norbert Wiener in the 21st Century Posted in: Editorial & Opinion, Human Impacts, Magazine Articles, Societal Impact - In this issue of IEEE Technology and Society Magazine we acknowledge one of the quintessential multi-disciplinarians of our time, Dr.… ... Read More
- A Conversation with Lazar Puhalo Posted in: Human Impacts, Interview, Magazine Articles, Societal Impact - In December 17, 2014, T&S Editor-in-Chief Katina Michael interviewed Archbishop of Ottawa (Ret.) Lazar Puhalo, of the Orthodox Church in… ... Read More
- Creating The Norbert Wiener Media Project Posted in: Editorial & Opinion, Human Impacts, Magazine Articles, Societal Impact - Mary Catherine Bateson in an interview from the 2014 Norbert Wiener Conference in Boston. In the early part of… ... Read More
- Automatic Tyranny, Re-Theism ,and the Rise of the Reals Posted in: Editorial & Opinion, Human Impacts, Magazine Articles, Societal Impact - “So will computers be smarter than humans? It depends on what you consider to be a computer and what you… ... Read More
Marketing the Moon: The Selling of the Apollo Lunar Mission
Richard R. Weiner
Robots Don’t Pray
Unmanned Aircraft: The Rising Risk of Hostile Takeover
Donna A. Dulo
Tamara Bonaci, Jeffrey Herron, Charles Matlack, and Howard Jay Chizeck
N.J.R. Venekamp and H.Th. Le Fever
NOTE: Most IEEE Technology and Society Magazine columns and department articles are publicly accessible at no charge. Click on the title of any non-refereed article to read.
SSIT membership (subscription) is required to access refereed articles (marked with asterisk).