Bozenna Pasik-Duncan, the 2020-2021 SSIT Liaison Representative in IEEE WIE is a Professor of Mathematics and Courtesy Professor of AE & EECS at University of Kansas, an IEEE Life Fellow, IEEE CSS Liaison Representative in SSIT and a member of IEEE SSIT BOG, the 2017-2018 IEEE WIE Chair and the 2019-2020 Immediate Past Chair.
Mission and Scope
IEEE Women in Engineering (WIE) is one of the largest international professional organizations dedicated to promoting women engineers and scientists, and inspiring girls around the world to follow their academic interests in a career in engineering and science.
The mission of IEEE WIE is to facilitate the recruitment and retention of women in technical disciplines globally.
Click here to download WIE Recommendations for the Top 5 Best Practices.
- 20,000+ IEEE WIE members in more than 100 countries
- 900+ WIE Affinity Groups and Student Branch Affinity Groups provide opportunities for members to engage and network at a local level
- Over 40 representatives of IEEE Technical Societies and Councils
Click here to view information on WIE Member Statistics as at January 2021.
IEEE Women in Engineering is led by the WIE Chair who is both an IEEE member and respected volunteer leader. The 2021 IEEE WIE Chair is Jennifer Castillo, an IEEE Senior Member from Colombia. The WIE Chair serves as the global ambassador for IEEE WIE and is responsible for activities in support of IEEE members and women in the profession to include:
- Development of programs and activities that promote the entry into and retention of women in engineering programs.
- Advocate for women in leadership roles and for women’s career advancement in the profession including IEEE member grade advancement
- Recognition of women’s outstanding achievements through IEEE Awards and international award nominations.
- Promote sustained global growth of IEEE WIE members through and online and local opportunities for women to fully engage in the profession and network with over 400,000 IEEE members globally
- Annual IEEE WIE International Leadership Conference (ILC)
- 10 IEEE WIE International Leadership Summits (ILS) held annually on multiple continents.
- Award-winning IEEE Women in Engineering Magazine (2 issues published annually).
- Provides funding and support for activities including technical conference workshops, special projects and locally organized WIE events to enhance the opportunities for women worldwide
- Diverse options for engaging electronically: IEEE WIE web presence; electronic newsletter (bi-monthly); social media-Facebook – Women in Leadership Community in IEEE Collabratec™
- IEEE Women in Engineering offers pre-university, undergraduate, and graduate student scholarship opportunities: IEEE Frances B. Hugle Scholarship, Edith Hannigan McHale Scholarship, 2U Scholarship
IEEE WIE awards presented annually to recognize achievement:
- Inspiring Member of the Year Award
- Inspiring Student Member of the Year Award
- Affinity Group (AG) of the Year Award
- Student Branch Affinity Group (SBAG) of the Year Award