Current Issue – June 2019
Driverless Cars: Going Off the Rails?
The car itself has proved, in recent years, to have been a convenient vehicle (sic) or significant driver (sic) for research and development in battery technology, but also,
seemingly, the foundation of the “Ur” challenge for data-driven Artificial Intelligence (AI) – the driverless car.
It might be reasonable to inquire: why would anyone own, or even need to own, a driverless car, if they do not get to drive it? Which in turn begs the question, if the central tenet of the personal car ownership model (i.e., ownership) no longer holds, then what is the replacement business model?
–Jeremy Pitt, excerpted from “Transparent Ownership of Mobility-as-a-Service”
Free Online Content
- Understanding and Strengthening Capacity for Society Posted in: Entries, Human Impacts, Last Word, Magazine Articles, Societal Impact - As populations increase, the volume of man and materials increases . Demand can exceed capacity. ... Read More
- Letter to the Editor Posted in: Entries, Letters to the Editor, Societal Impact - I am hopeful that our younger readership will learn a bit about less known American history from the brief analogy… ... Read More
- Letter to the Editor Posted in: Entries, Human Impacts, Magazine Articles - “Nudging” is the term used in the IEEE standards work on Ethics for AI Design. An AI system that applies… ... Read More
- Microchipping People Is a “Bad Idea” Posted in: Entries, Health & Medical, Human Impacts, Interview, Magazine Articles - Sjöström argues that NFC chips are a solution in search of a problem, have limited utility, are less efficient than… ... Read More
- Transparent Ownership of Mobility-as-a-Service Posted in: Editorial & Opinion, Entries, Environment, Magazine Articles, Societal Impact - Why would anyone own, or even need to own, a driverless car, if they do not get to drive it?… ... Read More
- Driverless Cars: Another Piece Of The Puzzle Posted in: Editorial & Opinion, Entries, Magazine Articles, Societal Impact - It is essential not only to estimate the sales potential of driverless cars, but also to debate how they will… ... Read More
- The Resilience of “Planes, Trains, and Automobiles” Posted in: Editorial & Opinion, Entries, Magazine Articles, Societal Impact - Meeting traveler’s expectations, and properly exploiting available transport resources, is becoming a more and more complex task. ... Read More
- Congestion, Safety, Economic, and Environmental Challenges of Vehicle Automation in Transport Systems Posted in: Editorial & Opinion, Entries, Magazine Articles, Robotics, Societal Impact - The role of driverless cars in future transport systems remains debatable, in terms of their potential to replace other transport… ... Read More
- Driverless Cars Will Make Passenger Rail Obsolete Posted in: Editorial & Opinion, Entries, Magazine Articles, Robotics, Societal Impact - In the age of driverless cars, rail -- as a means of transportation that takes many people from one central… ... Read More
- Poem – Sea of Seeds Posted in: Editorial & Opinion, Entries, Human Impacts, Magazine Articles, Podcasts, Societal Impact, Video & Podcasts - I am Alba Victoria A biopsychologist highly interested in conservation Dedicated to engaging science communication Who is simply trying to… ... Read More
Being Human in this Technical World IEEE Conference on -- Norbert Wiener in the 21st Century 2020
IEEE SSIT Chapters and More
Call for Nominations
Transparent Ownership of Mobility-as-a-Service
AI as Influencer
Acknowledging George Washington Carver
Larry Gadeken; Christine Perakslis
Real Things and Why They Matter
A. David Wunsch
A. David Wunsch
Sea of Seeds
Alba Victoria Suarez Garcia
Microchipping People Is a “Bad Idea”: Interview with Andreas Sjöström
Katina Michael and Rebecca Monteleone
Driverless Cars Will Make Passenger Rail Obsolete
Congestion, Safety, Economic, and Environmental Challenges of Vehicle Automation in Transport Systems
Elena Psyllou and Jacek Pawlak
The Resilience of "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles"
Antonio Bucchiarone and Philip Feldmann
Driverless Cars ? Another Piece Of The Puzzle
Teresa Galvao Dias
Understanding and Strengthening Capacity for Society
Peter M. Asaro
Nikos Giatrakos ; Nikos Katzouris ; Antonios Deligiannakis ; Alexander Artikis ; Minos Garofalakis ; George Paliouras ; Holger Arndt ; Raffaele Grasso ; Ralf Klinkenberg ; Miguel Ponce De Leon ; Gian Gaetano Tartaglia ; Alfonso Valencia ; Dimitrios Zissis
Bradley Patterson and Nicholas Sakellariou
NOTE: Most IEEE Technology and Society Magazine columns and department articles are publicly accessible at no charge. Click on the title of any non-refereed article to read.
SSIT membership (subscription) is required to access refereed articles (marked with asterisk).