IEEE ISTAS 2020 Public Interest Technology (Arizona State University)
November 12 - November 14
ISTAS 2020 WILL BE VIRTUAL
The dates will remain the same. The virtual meeting will open new doors for global participation. Bring your ideas, your issues and your innovation in this new dynamic. A great opportunity to attend the conference remotely and engage with peers who embrace your interests.
Public interest technologies (PIT) serve to address social needs and challenges in society. People working in this space ask communities what their needs are first, without presuming they know what is best for them and generally use a participatory approach to innovation with values in mind and cultural awareness. In short, context matters in the creation of technologies and technological systems. We are particularly interested in definitions, concepts, frameworks, applications and elaborations with respect to the following areas of Public Interest Technology.
Call for Papers
Main Conference Website
IEEE ISTAS 2020 is a wholly ONLINE conference.
Secure Zoom details will be sent to delegates after registration as we near the conference. Learn more about Zoom here.
The virtual world opens up so many new opportunities to run a truly global conference, breaking down the distance barriers.
General Chair – Katina Michael, Arizona State University
Program Committee Chair – Roba Abbas, University of Wollongong
- The 30 member strong international technical program committee will be announced shortly
Organizing Committee Co-Chairs – Netra Chhetri, Nalini Chhetri, Arizona State University
- Cindy Dick – Event Management
- Salah Hamdoun – Publications Chair
- Elma Hajric – Workshop and Tutorials Chair
- Farah Nájar Arévalo – Social Media Co-chairs
- Martin Andrés Pérez Comisso- Social Media Co-chairs
- Katina Michael – Conference Web Site Co-Chair
- Terri Bookman – Conference Web Site Co-Chair
- Michael Cardinale – Conference Treasurer
- Jay Pearlman – VP IEEE SSIT Conference Chair
- Other members of the Social Policy Engineering Collective:
- Emma Frow – Governance of Emerging Biotechnologies
- Kirk Jalbert – Civic Science for Environmental Futures Collaborative
- Darshan Karwat – Reengineered.org
- Laura Hosman – Solarspell.org
- Faheem Hussain – Development for Displaced Population
- Thad Miller – Center for Smart Cities and Regions
Keynote and Invited Speakers
- Professor Jeremy Pitt – Imperial College London (Keynote)
- Professor Christine Perakslis – Johnson and Wales University (Keynote)
- Professor Joseph Carvalko – Quinniapac University (Keynote)
- Professor Isabelle Pedersen – Ontario Tech University (Keynote)
- Dr Fatima Zahrae Chrifi Alaoui – San Francisco State University (Invited Speaker)
- Dr Jennifer Oliva – Seton Hall University (Invited Speaker)
- Dr Rebecca Monteleone – University of Toledo (Invited Speaker)
- Mr Andreas Sjöström – VP, Capgemini (Invited Speaker)
Submission Guidelines: All papers must be original and not simultaneously submitted to another journal or conference. The deadline for paper submission of all types is 14th September 2020. All papers must be submitted through EasyChair. The template can be found here.
IEEEISTAS20 proceedings will be published in the IEEEXplore database by IEEE. Abstracts and short papers under 2,000 words will be available from the conference web site post peer review. Select papers will be chosen for inclusion by the guest editorial team led by Dr Roba Abbas, in a special issue of the IEEE Technology and Society Magazine for publication in 2021, after authors extend their papers, and agree to undergo a new peer review process.
All questions regarding the conference should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.