Smart Grids and Social Networks
Vol. 33, No. 1
A reinvention of social capital is crucial for the development of the next generation of socio-technical systems. This is necessary not only to address systemic problems that threaten the sustainability of institutions and physical infrastructure, but also to understand and explain the processes through which socially resilient and sustainable institutions emerge and adapt.
Free Online Content
- Starting a New Chapter Posted in: Magazine Articles, President's Message - This past year, 2013, was a busy year for me, and for SSIT. Some of this activity was highly visible. ... Read More
- We’ve Got to Do Better Posted in: Editorial & Opinion, Entries, Human Impacts, Magazine Articles, Societal Impact - Each year, thousands of film buffs gather at the Sundance International Film Festival in Park City, UT, U.S.A., to see ... Read More
- Nanotechnology: Ethical and Social Implications Posted in: Book Reviews, Ethics, Magazine Articles, Societal Impact - By Ahmed S. Khan. CRC Press (Taylor & Francis), 2012. Reviewed by Karl D. Stephan Anyone who doesn't know ... Read More
- Tesla: Inventor of the Electrical Age Posted in: Book Reviews, Magazine Articles, Societal Impact - By W. Bernard Carlson, Princeton University Press, 2013, 520 pages. Reviewed by Eric P. Wenaas. W. Bernard Carlson points ... Read More
- Geosocial Intelligence Posted in: Communication Technology, Entries, Human Impacts, Leading Edge, Magazine Articles - Social media, driven by the explosive uptake of mobile computing, has caused a systematic shift in the structure of personal ... Read More
- Appropriate Technologies in the Globalized World: FAQs Posted in: Commentary, Entries, Human Impacts, Magazine Articles, Societal Impact - Technological innovation over the past century has revolutionized our society's ability to solve problems. A byproduct of this movement is ... Read More
- The Reinvention of Social Capital for Socio-Technical Systems Posted in: Communication Technology, Editorial & Opinion, Human Impacts, Magazine Articles - Social capital has been defined by Ostrom and Ahn  as “an attribute of individuals that enhances their ability to ... Read More
- Smart Cities and Their Smart Decisions: Ethical Considerations Posted in: Ethics, Magazine Articles, Societal Impact - In many respects, information and communication technologies (ICTs) pose new challenges to society. It is worth recognizing what ICTs represent ... Read More
A.J. Dinusha Rathnayaka, Vidyasagar M. Potdar, Tharam Dillon, Omar Hussain, and Samitha Kuruppu
NOTE: Most IEEE Technology and Society Magazine columns and department articles are publicly accessible at no charge. Click on the title of any non-refereed article to read.
SSIT membership (subscription) is required to access refereed articles (marked with asterisk).